Back-To-School Blessing - The Results
Post date: Sep 11, 2010 3:12:25 PM
- Over 2,000 people participated (700 people in line 3 hours before the event)
- 1,000 children received back packs, school supplies, and children's books
- 458 families received a box of food stuffs, detergent and hygiene supplies
- About 4,000 pieces of clothing were given away.
- Participating organizations - 16 churches, two Kiwanis clubs, many businesses and stores
Coordinator Vicki Lund writes, "Having a perfect day on the fields at Mt Baker Middle School enhanced the fun and we were able to provide a hotdog lunch, cotton candy, popcorn, outdoors games, and other entertainment to all who attended. It was really a wonderful celebration and truly a tangible way of blessing families in need."
From the desk of Carl Bruner, Mount Vernon Schools Superintendent, "As you know, an increasing number of families in Mount Vernon and surrounding communities are living in poverty. These families struggle to provide the basic necessities most of us take for granted. The backpacks, school supplies, and food that students and their families received at the Back to School Blessing will, quite literally, be the deciding factor in how prepared and confident students feel as they begin the new school year. We all know that educating our students requires the support of our community. This event was a wonderful example of that support in action. Thanks again for your part in making it happen."